By Glenn Miller, Head of Sport and Entertainment Partnerships, EMEA
Cristiano Ronaldo just hit 100 million likes on Facebook, making him the most liked sports figure on the platform. To celebrate this milestone, Ronaldo shared a great video on his Page thanking his fans.
“I’m so honored to have reached 100 million likes on Facebook,” he said. “It’s amazing to achieve this incredible milestone and connecting with all the fans around the world. Their outstanding support inspires me and I thank them all.”
Since joining in 2009, Ronaldo has used Facebook to share some of his greatest accomplishments on the pitch as well as moments from his personal life with fans. Through his Facebook Page, fans are able to see what life is really like for one of the world’s most famous footballers.
Here are some examples of the authentic ways Ronaldo has connected with fans on Facebook:
- This summer he posted a photo celebrating Children’s Day with his son. The photo has more than 3.4 million likes and his most liked post ever.
- Through the years, Ronaldo has often shared his reactions to winning awards, including the FIFA Balon D´or in January 2014 and the UEFA Best Player in Europe Award in August 2014.
- When in Brazil for the World Cup, he updated fans on his travels and reflected on his team’s matches using Facebook. His posts ranged from posing with a watermelon carved with his likeness to photos with the Portuguese team.
- He has also shared some special moments with Irina Shayk, such as a dinner out on October 6 and vacationing together last summer.
To show just how large Ronaldo’s Facebook fan base truly is, we’ve put together an infographic with some interesting statistics. For example, Ronaldo’s 100 million fans could:
- Fill 1,170 Bernabéu Stadiums (where Real Madrid plays)
- Create more than 9 million line-ups and face each other in over 4.5 million football matches
- Wrap around the world 4X if they all joined hands
- Fill Portugal 10X over