By Glenn Miller, Sports and Entertainment Partnerships, EMEA
Rugby World Cup 2015 is expected to be the biggest and most exciting tournament in rugby history, with 20 elite teams competing for the Webb Ellis Trophy between September 18 and October 31.
Follow the Action on Facebook
All 20 teams will be using their Facebook Pages to bring fans behind the scenes, share exclusive video content, and provide match updates.
As kick-off approaches, reigning World Champions New Zealand have been introducing a new generation of fans to Kiwi heroes through their All Blacks Legends video series, while the current squad has been meeting fans via the All Blacks to the Nation program. Italy has shown the level of dedication needed to prepare for the World Cup (check out Michele Rizzo’s squats!), and England has been revealing more about its star players through the RWC Player Diary series.
You can check out England Rugby’s official RWC single “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,” featuring Ella Eyre along with fans on Facebook.
Celebrate with Stickers
In celebration of Rugby World Cup 2015, Facebook has launched a new sticker pack featuring Shaun the Sheep. The stickers feature the popular woolly character along with popular rugby cheers like ‘HEAVE!,’ ‘TRY!,’ ‘PENALTY!,’ and more to help you express yourself before, during, and after matches. The sticker pack is now available for download in the Sticker Store, which can be accessed in the Messenger app, or by clicking here.
Let Your Friends Know You’re Watching
Join the conversation on Facebook by posting about the match you are watching. Just tap the smiley icon before you share a post, select “watching,” and choose Rugby World Cup or the specific match you are viewing at the time. You can select the flag of your favorite team’s country or post with the RWC official ball.
Follow on Instagram
On Instagram, teams have been sharing behind-the-scenes content, including kicking practice with Morgan Parra, inside the dressing room with the USA Eagles, a #maitlandtakeover from within the Scotland camp and #rugbyskills with Mike Phillips in Dubai.
They’ve also been giving fans an exclusive look at player preparation through the hashtag #RoadToRWC2015 – with @rugbyromania, @wallabies, @allblacks, @georgianrugby, @italrugby and Italian captain @sergioparisse all taking part.
Players have also been taking to Instagram in the build-up to the tournament to share their excitement and anticipation with fans:
- New Zealand’s @Dan Carter celebrating the Bledisloe Cup with Richie McCaw
- Ireland’s @properchurch recovering in compression boots
- England’s @jameshask singing ‘Swing Low, Sweet Chariot’ inside Twickenham Stadium with teammate @dannycare9
Be sure to follow #RoadToRWC2015 on Instagram as the Rugby World Cup 2015 kicks off.
Top 10 Players on Facebook*
- Dan Carter (New Zealand)
- Quade Cooper (Australia)
- Thierry Dusautoir (France)
- Bryan Habana (S. Africa)
- Jamie Heaslip (Ireland)
- Tommy Bowe (Ireland)
- David Pocock (Australia)
- Martin Castrogiovanni (Italy)
- Rob Kearney (Ireland)
- Beauden Barrett (New Zealand)
*Players with verified Facebook pages, ranked by number of likes
Top 10 Players on Instagram
- Dan Carter (New Zealand) – dancarter_
- Sam Burgess (England) – samburgess8
- Quade Cooper (Australia) – quadecooper
- Israel Folau (Australia) – izzyfolau
- Matt Giteau (Australia) – matt_giteau
- Malakai Fekitoa (New Zealand) – malakaifekitoa
- Liam Messam (New Zealand) – liammessam
- George North (Wales) – george_north
- Aaron Smith (New Zealand) – aaron_smith09
- Rob Kearney (Ireland) – robkearney
The Teams on Facebook